Friday, February 21, 2014

Olvera Street- a little bit of old LA

This week I took the train from Fresno to LA to finish the approval process for the US govt's Trusted Traveler program (http://www.globalentry.gov/) to help expedite passage thru US airports (I got approved! I will let you know how it goes when I first get to try it).  I had some time before I had to catch the bus from Union Station to LAX, so I walked across the street to Olvera Street, the original pueblo of Los Angeles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olvera_Street).  I had lunch there- carnitas tacos with rice and beans that were quite good.  Then I walked around the area: mostly it is vendors selling touristy/tacky souvenirs, but that doesn't take away the fun!  The street does a pretty good job of providing historical information, and it is fun to check things out.  What was surprising is the main plaza had live music, and people gathered to dance!  It was refreshing to see!

 The street sign that lets you know you are on Olvera Street
 Hand Made tortillas added to the lunch

Entry to the vendors street- this is just off the main plaza

No comments:

Post a Comment